Rain and wet conditions continue to be part of our daily routine. The first part of last week was spent driving fields to clean up down trees and scout which areas suffered the most from erosion. We have many areas that will need repaired before planting. The tear down of the old pole shed on the Deer farm was completed and Rod’s 4020 battering ram modification did the job with ease. Mowing season is in full swing as the temperatures have risen and moisture is definitely not a limiting factor. We were able to do a couple things in the field toward the end of last week, but more wet weather over the weekend has brought progress back to a halt. Thursday afternoon we were able to spray a couple hundred acres of bean burndown herbicide and Friday afternoon we planted 65 acres of beans. The conditions were very much on the wet side of things but were able to get the planter running and work out a few bugs. The plan was to plant a whole 80 acre field but the last 15 acres were nothing but mud! So far we’ve received about 7 tenths of an inch […]
Monthly Archives: April 2019
Since the first of the the month we have had 1.7″ of precipitation. The fields are saturated and if the weather would cooperate with some warmth and sunshine we are still, at least, a week from field work. We’ve stayed busy cleaning up trees, burning some CRP, and finishing up some prep work on equipment. The cover crop we sprayed three weeks ago is slowly dying and hasn’t grown. We are glad we took the opportunity to get out there and get it sprayed it when we did, as other rye cover crops in the neighborhood are starting to get some serious growth on them. With the wet soils, the cover crops around here will get at least another week of growth before an attempted termination. We wait patiently for the weather to turn, but our delays are shared by our peers and things could always be worse! Hopefully by the next update we can share some field work pictures and news.
This last week we finally have had some warm temperatures. The month of March brought us over 5 inches of rain. The rye cover crop has greened up and it was dry enough mid-week to get out there and spray it. Hopefully we get a few more warm days and the herbicide does its job. Work in the shop is getting caught up, both planters are nearly field ready. The tender trailers and trucks have been gone through and we have our first load of soybean seed on the trailer. Sadly, but as expected, results from our seed tests are showing poor germination percentages. Cold and saturated cold germination scores in the corn variety we had intended to plant first are much too low. We’ll have to wait for warmer and dryer soils to plant it. We took samples of the rest of our corn hybrids to the lab in Champaign and are hoping for better results with those. Payton and Preston were down to the farm for a few days. We were able to squeeze some work out of them when they weren’t too busy honing their marksmanship on the barnyard shooting range.