It’s been about three weeks since our last update and a lot has been done. We have finally finished up planting both corn and beans. Corn was finished on the 6th of June and soybeans were finished the 12th. Replants on the corn were minimal, about 5 acres due to poor emergence. The soybeans struggled with emergence too, 65 acres were replanted and there may be more to come. We currently have several acres under water after yesterday’s rain.
With the spread out planting window we jumped right into our post herbicide applications. All the early planted beans have been sprayed as well as the first 225 acres of corn. About half of the pre-sidedress soil nitrate samples have been pulled in preparation for the last nitrogen application and we should have lab results any day. We are hoping that by delaying our pre-plant nitrogen applications we will have minimized our nitrogen losses due to the high levels of rainfall and that we will be able to delay our sidedress pass a couple weeks.
All in all the crop doesn’t look too bad considering the conditions we’ve encountered. We would be in good shape if the calender was still turned to May. Considering the late planting, we have adjusted our corn marketing plan to yield levels about 40 bushels per acre below our five year average. The good news is that the market has responded to the reduced corn acres and overall crop quality. The current economics, even at this reduced yield potential, are better today than prior to the planting season.